Can a urogynecologist near me in Lake Forest, IL help me with recurring UTIs?
Urinary tract infections are problematic whether they occur once or twice or recur with greater frequency. Recurring infections are more likely when factors such as the following exist:
- Genetic predisposition
- Abnormality in the function or shape of the urinary tract
- Changing estrogen levels such as in menopause
- Entrance of bacteria during sexual intercourse
- Bladder or kidney stones
If I don’t have these risk factors but frequently experience UTIs, should I see a urogynecologist near me?
Women who experience two or more diagnosed bladder infections over six months can benefit greatly from consulting an experienced urogynecologist such as Dr. Gandhi. The team at Partners in Pelvic Health at North Shore Urogynecology, with offices in Park City, Woodstock, and Lake Forest, IL, specializes in a variety of women’s health concerns. We offer discreet, compassionate care that will investigate potential reasons for recurrence and will design treatment to minimize risk.
The treatment of recurring urinary tract infections is focused on detecting and addressing the underlying cause. In some instances, a root cause for recurring urinary tract infections cannot be found. Treatment may involve:
- Customized, intermittent antibiotic therapy based on need. For example, one patient may be advised to take a single-dose antibiotic after intercourse. Another may begin a short course of antibiotics immediately upon the development of UTI symptoms
- Prescription for long-term, low-dose antibiotics
- Vaginal estrogen therapy for post-menopausal women not on other estrogen therapy
In addition to diagnostics and antibiotic treatment as needed, we may also discuss with patients how altering lifestyle habits can minimize the risk of recurring urinary tract infections:
- Flush bacteria by drinking at least 8 full glasses of water a day
- Do not “hold it” when you need to urinate
- Wash the vaginal and anal area daily with mild soap and water
- Urinate soon after sexual intercourse
- Use only unscented soaps and feminine products
Dr. Gandhi is a specialist who understands that every woman is different. Seeking answers to the problem of urinary tract infections, our team offers solutions to help you remain comfortable. We are happy to help you in our Lake Forest, Woodstock, or Park City, IL office. Call us today.Back to Urinary Tract Infection Page